Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Burning New Designs and The Glorious Mable!

Oh joy, it's screen burning day! I just love this part of screenprinting, it's so magical! I put pictures on a screen, put it under a light and then after 15 minutes I get to go rinse out the picture. I *know* how it works, but my inner child sure does love the magic of it. I just put the first screen under the light to burn and I have two more to go after this one, so within about an hour, if all goes well, I should have three screens ready to print!

I'm excited about these designs. I'm currently burning a re-designed "chicks dig vegans" design and a dandelion gone to seed. The other designs I'm burning today are a re-designed "queerdoe", an anatomical heart, a femme-ish person on a bike and some birds and hearts for background/second color for some of the other designs. I'm excited to see how everything turns out and I have to say, I just adore screen printing! It's just so fun and exciting to me, probably because the process is quick and not overly delicate. Also, I think I will try doing a reduction design at some point, I've never done that and I was thinking about it last night.

I have a new family member now, I just inherited Mable, a gumdrop shaped i-mac. She's fabulous, and now I have a computer that I can use for watching movies (yipee!), and burning CDs (and DVDs, high class!), and using illustrator and photoshop (glory be!), which should make my arting and crafting life much, much richer! I do love my old dinosaur of a laptop and she has served me well. I'll be keeping her, but she's being converted to linux, which should be interesting and she'll mainly be a back up/alternate to Mable, once Mable's all up and running proper like with all the latest downloads, red sequin decorations, etc. Now I will finally be able to justify getting a digital camera, because I will have a computer to put the photos on (yes my laptop is really that ancient/slow that I can't hook a digital camera up to it). And that will make selling my things so much easier; Etsy here I come! Well, once I manage to snag a decent camera that is.

Well screen number one washed out beautifully and now number two is under the light getting cooked. I accidentally flipped my anatomical heart design again when I was placing it, thinking I hadn't already flipped it, so it's going to end up being backwards when I print. It's not too big of a deal because there are no words, but it will bother me a little bit because of my anatomy nerd-ness. Oh well, it must just be my imperfect heart wanting to memorialized!

Hopefully by tonight I'll have tons of fagulous new prints!

No comments: